NHBT Member Information
Information for active members and friends of NHBT ~ login to your NHBT account to get your personalized information
Sep 13, 20, 27 Oct 4, 18, 25
Nov 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 Dec 6
M51 Q1 21 20th Century Music Mon 10-11:00 am – Donna
M52 Q2 21 Popular Music History Mon 10:00am-11:00am – Donna
M47 Q1 21 Renaissance History Mon 12:00-1:00 pm – Dan
M50 Q2 21 Romantic History Mon 12:00-1:00 pm – Dan
M09 Q1 21 Beginner Theory Mon 2:00-3:00 pm – Dan
M49 Q2 21 Classical History Mon 2:00-3:00 pm – Dan
M48 Q1 21 Baroque History Mon 4:00-5:00 pm – Garry
|M11 Q2 21 Intermediate Theory Mon 4:00-5:00 pm – Marianne|
NOTE Dates and Day
M54 Q1 21 Duets Thurs 4:00-5:30 pm – Maggie and Craig
Sep 23, 30 Oct 7, 14, 21, 28
M54 Q2 21 Duets Thurs 4:00-5:30 pm – Maggie and Craig
Nov 4, 12, 18, 25 Dec 2, 9
Music for Life
Music for Life
Sep 21, 28 Oct 5, 12, 19, 26 Nov 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 Dec 7
Sep 22, 29 Oct 6, 13, 20, 27 Nov 3,10, 17, 24 Dec 1, 8
Sep 23, 30 Oct 7, 14, 21, 28 Nov 4, 11, 18, 25 Dec 2, 9
B09 T1 21 Symphonic Band Tues. Morn 10:00am-12:00pm – Donna
J01 T1 21 Beginner Big Band Wed 10:00am-12:00 pm – Pat
B05 T1 21 Concert Band Thur Morn – 10:00am–12:00pm – Marianne
B13 T1 21 Wind Ensemble Tues Aft 1:00-3:00 pm – Donna
J03 T1 21 Intermediate Big Band Wed 1:00-3:00 pm – Pat
B03 T1 21 Beginner II Thur Aft – 1:00pm–3:00pm – Marianne
B02 T1 21 Beginner I Tues Aft – 4:00pm–5:30pm – Donna
B11 T1 21 Symphonic Band Tues. Eve 7:00-9:00 pm – Donna
B07 T1 21 Concert Band Wed Eve – 7:00pm–9:00pm – Garry
B04 T1 21 Beginner II Thur Eve – 7:00pm–9:00pm – Donna
|Jan 18, 25, Feb 1, 8, 15, 22 Mar 1, 8, 22, 29 Apr 5, 12, 19, 26 May 3, 10, 17, 24, 31||Jan 19, 26 Feb 2, 9, 16, 23 Mar 2, 9, 23, 30, Apr 6, 13, 20, 27 May 4, 11, 18, 25 Jun 1||Jan 20, 27 Feb 3, 10, 17, 24 Mar 3, 10, 24, 31 Apr 7, 14, 21, 28 May 5, 12, 19, 26 Jun 2|
B09 T2 21 Symphonic Band Tues. Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Donna
J01 T2 21 Beginner Big Band Wed 10:00am-12:00 pm ~ Pat
B05 T2 21 Concert Band Thur Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Marianne
B13 T2 21 Wind Ensemble Tues Aft 1:00-3:00 pm ~ Donna
J03 T2 21 Intermediate Big Band Wed 1:00-3:00 pm ~ Pat
B03 T2 21 Beginner II Thur Aft 1:00pm-3:00pm ~ Marianne
B02 T2 21 Beginner I Tues Aft 4:00pm-5:30pm
B11 T2 21 Symphonic Band Tues. Eve 7:00-9:00 pm ~ Donna
B07 T2 21 Concert Band Wed Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Garry
B04 T2 21 Beginner II Thur Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Donna
Jun 6,13, 20, 27
Jun 7, 14, 21, 28
Jun 9, 16, 23, 30
M30 Sight Reading (in-person) Donna
M58 Pop Music (hybrid) Marianne
M56 How to Improv (online) Maggie
NOTE June 16 & 23 only
M34 Intermediate Theory (online) Marianne
B13 Wind Ensemble (hybrid) Donna
M59 Flute Ensemble (hybrid) Marianne
M55 History of the Wind Band ~ Cancelled
M42 Transposition and Arranging ~ Cancelled
M57 How to Improv (online) Maggie
NOTE June 16 & 23 only
M26 Repertoire (hybrid) Donna
M34 Su 21 Intermediate Theory – 1:00 – 2:00 – Marianne (ONLINE ONLY)
If you are already comfortable reading notes and rhythms and want to know more about why music is written the way that it is, join us in Intermediate Theory class. We will explore more scales and rhythm conventions. Learn why theory can help you be a better musician too!
M42 Su 21 Transposition and Arranging CANCELLED
Do you want to learn the fundamental principles of arranging music for band or ensemble? Why do some instruments play in different keys that I do? Through practical exercises, you will learn the whys and hows of basic transposition and arranging techniques. A basic knowledge of music notation software is an asset in this course. Understanding of reading notes and rhythms in the treble and bass clefs is required.
M30 Su 21 Sight Reading – 10:00-11:30 a.m. – Donna (IN PERSON ONLY)
There is absolutely NO HOMEWORK in this class! You will learn techniques to become a better sight reader in both band and solo music. We will work on new pieces every single week, progressing from beginner level to the Concert Band level. All players with at least one year of band instruction are welcome.
B13 Su 21 Wind Ensemble (Prep for 2022-2023) – 1:00-2:30 p.m. – Donna (HYBRID)
If you are already in Wind Ensemble and would like to get ahead on all the REALLY challenging pieces that we will be working on next year, this class is for you. If you would like to try out this level of music and potentially move up, we would love to have you join us. We will have some openings in Wind Ensemble next year on clarinet, alto sax, bari sax, trumpet and percussion. Please speak with Donna if you are unsure if this is right for you.
M55 Su 21 History of the Wind Band CANCELLED
You have been playing in band all year long, but do you know how band started? Why do we use the instruments that we use? Who invented band? Learn all of this and more in this brief history of the Wind Band. This is mainly an online class, but if you are taking the Wind Ensemble class, you are welcome to stay and participate in person.
M26 Su 21 Repertoire – 7:00-8:30 p.m. – Donna (HYBRID)
This class is one part history and one part performance. In the first half of the class, you will learn the history and theory of amazing pieces from the concert band repertoire. Then you will put what you have learned into practice and PLAY them! This class is suitable for players from Beginner II level and up.
M56 Su 21 How to Improv – 12:00-1:00 p.m. – Maggie (ONLINE ONLY)
This TWO WEEK class will focus on the basics of improvisation and how you can become better at this skill. You will work with recordings in the privacy of your own home to try out the skills that you learn in class. This class is suitable for all players from Beginner II and up. Note: This class is REPEATED in the evening – it is not a different class.
M58 Su 21 Pop Music (B100-B300) – 10:00-11:30 a.m. – Marianne (HYBRID)
There are so many popular songs that have been arranged for band. In this class the repertoire will focus on those familiar tunes that we all know and love. This class is suitable for players from the Beginner II level and up.
M59 Su 21 Flute Ensemble – 1:00-2:30 p.m. – Marianne (HYBRID)
Are you a flutist, flautist or flute player that wants to play in an ensemble just for your instrument? This is the class for you! Join your flute-playing friends in duets, trios, quartets and larger ensembles specifically for flutes. This class is suitable for players from the Beginner II level and up.
M57 Su 21 How to Improv – 7:00-8:00 p.m. – Maggie (ONLINE ONLY)
This TWO WEEK class will focus on the basics of improvisation and how you can become better at this skill. You will work with recordings in the privacy of your own home to try out the skills that you learn in class. This class is suitable for all players from Beginner II and up. Note: This class is REPEATED in the morning – it is not a different class.
Sep 12, 19, 26, Oct 3,10 (online), 17, 24, 31, Nov 7, 14, 21, 28, Dec 5, 12
Note: Beginner I classes start Sept 19th
Sep 13, 20, 27, Oct 4,11, 18, 25, Nov 1, 7, 15, 22, 29, Dec 6, 13
Sep 14, 21, 28, Oct 5,12, 19, 26, Nov 2, 8, 16, 23, 30, Dec 7, 14
Sep 15, 22, 29, Oct 6,13, 20, 27, Nov 3, 9, 17, 24, Dec 1, 8, 15
Note: Beginner I classes start Sept 22nd
B09 T1 22 Symphonic Band Tues Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Donna
J03 T1 22 Intermediate Big Band Wed Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Pat
B05 T1 22 Concert Band Thur Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Marianne
B13 T1 22 Wind Ensemble Tues Aft 1:00pm-3:00pm ~ Donna
J05 T1 22 Jazz Orchestra Wed Aft 1:00pm-3:00pm ~ Pat
B01 T1 22 Beginner I Thur Aft 1:00pm-3:00pm ~ Marianne
B02 T1 22 Beginner I Mon Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Diane
B11 T1 22 Symphonic Band Tues Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Donna
B07 T1 22 Concert Band Wed Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Garry
B04 T1 22 Beginner II Thur Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Pat
Jan 16, 23, 30, Feb 6, 13, 20, 27 Mar 6, 20, 27 Apr 3, 17, 24 May 1, 8, 15, 22
Jan 17, 24, 31, Feb 7, 14, 21, 28 Mar 7, 21, 28 Apr 4, 18, 25 May 2, 9, 16, 23
Jan 18, 25 Feb 1, 8, 15, 22 Mar 1, 8, 22, 29 Apr 5, 19, 26 May 3, 10, 17, 24
Jan 19, 26 Feb 2, 9, 16, 23 Mar 2, 9, 23, 30 Apr 6, 20, 27 May 4, 11, 18, 25
B09 T2 22 Symphonic Band Tues. Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Donna
J03 T2 22 Intermediate Big Band Wed. Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Pat
B05 T2 22 Concert Band Thur Morn 10:00am-12:00pm ~ Marianne
B13 T2 22 Wind Ensemble Tues Aft 1:00pm-3:00pm ~ Donna
J05 T2 22 Jazz Orchestra Wed. Aft 1:00pm-3:00pm ~ Pat
B11 T2 22 Symphonic Band Tues. Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Donna
B07 T2 22 Concert Band Wed Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Garry
B04 T2 22 Beginner II Thur Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Pat
B02 T2 22 Beginner I Thur Eve 7:00pm-9:00pm ~ Diane
Note: No classes during the week of March 13th ~ i.e. no classes scheduled March 14, 15 or 16
COVID-19 Policy Updates
NHBT policies and safety protocols have been updated as of Nov 28, 2022
The following safety protocols are in effect:
COVID Safety Protocols
Any member, teacher or visitor to the facility on NHBT business who is feeling unwell or has tested positive for COVID should not attend any in-person classes or enter the NHBT premises.
If you have tested positive for COVID or exhibit any COVID symptoms, please adhere to the following guidance:
- Follow local public health guidelines regarding staying home, self-isolating, ending self-isolation and returning to everyday activities. The Toronto Public Health Guidelines can be found here: https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-what-you-should-do/
- To return to in-person classes, you must have two negative Rapid Antigen Tests (RAT) taken 24 hours apart. Some people may test positive longer than others; you are still infectious as long as you have a positive RAT result.
- Please ensure you test properly and follow the test instructions. For increased efficacy of testing, swabbing inside your cheek and/or back of your throat prior to swabbing the inside of your nose is recommended.
If you have been in close contact with a positive case of COVID, please adhere to the following guidance:
- Follow local public health guidelines regarding close contact (use link provided above)
- You should test prior to your next class and attend only if the results are negative and you are not exhibiting any COVID symptoms
- If there is a positive case of COVID in your household, you must not attend any in-person classes while the case is still active. You must then have two negative RATs taken 24 hours apart before returning to class in person.
- If you have tested positive for COVID, share this information with your teacher via email.
- If a member, teacher or visitor in your class does contract COVID, all class members for that class will be notified by email. Everyone in the impacted class should follow the guidance noted above regarding close contact.
Members are reminded that virtual class is an option for all registered members. The Zoom link can be found on the members’ page, right above the link for your music.
NHBT has the following practices in place to protect the health and safety of our in-person members:
- Air filtration units are in operation during class and breaks to ensure adequate air exchange.
- Air filtration units are left on in the rehearsal room between classes and/or turned on at least 15 minutes prior to the start of class.
- Chairs are placed (and must be maintained) at defined distances.
- No beverages or snacks are provided during breaks.
- NHBT provides an ample supply of hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial hand soap and paper towels in the washrooms.
- Our facility is cleaned by professional cleaners on a weekly basis.
In-person members follow the protocols below:
- As per the In-Person Class Vaccination policy, all participants in in-person classes or on the premises for NHBT business must be fully vaccinated. You can read the details of this policy here: https://newhorizonsbandtoronto.ca/shop/
- Bell covers on woodwind and brass instruments are mandatory. Participants must provide their own bell covers. Flute players must purchase from NHBT at nominal cost a shield that fits over the head joint.
- Masks must be worn unless you are playing a woodwind or brass instrument. Masks can be removed only temporarily to drink during break and outside of rehearsal space.
- Participants must provide their own cloths and ensure no “spit” is left behind on the floors or chairs.
- Please do not bring or consume any food on the premises.
- Social distancing must be observed at all times. During break, access to the main door foyer has been granted to minimize congestion in the hall area by the rehearsal room.
- Please be mindful of social distancing in the washrooms and in the NHBT office space.
- As the office is no longer available to store instrument cases, small instrument cases (flute, oboe, clarinet, trumpet) should be placed directly underneath the member’s chair, together with any bags or purses. There will be designated areas outside the band room for larger instrument cases.
- Teaching staff remaining on the premises for multiple classes in one day may eat and drink on the premises but must do so in the NHBT office by themselves. All other participants must leave the rehearsal space and move to the foyer by the double doors or exit the building.
- Please practice good hand hygiene at all times.
Anyone planning to attend in-person classes (members, guests, band directors) must be fully vaccinated: proof of vaccination is required. This requirement also extends to any person on the NHBT premises conducting business for NHBT or using the NHBT office space.
If an individual cannot be vaccinated due to valid medical reasons or is exempt on grounds protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code, an accommodation can be requested. To ensure the on-going health and safety of all participants, the accommodation that will be offered will be to participate in the class virtually. Virtual classes are available for all who are unable or unwilling to attend in-person classes.
Partially vaccinated individuals may still register for in-person classes with the assumption that they will be fully vaccinated within 4 weeks of the start of the program. They will be required to participate virtually until they are fully vaccinated.
In-Person Classes – a class where all participants (students, guests, band directors) are physically in the same band rehearsal space. This may be a music performance class or any other in-person class.
Fully Vaccinated – participant has received their third dose of a 3-dose vaccine series (2 shots plus booster). The participant has also observed the 2-week waiting period after vaccination during which time the body’s immune system mounts a full response to the vaccine. All vaccines must be Health Canada approved.
Partially Vaccinated – participant has not received the full course of vaccination shots including the booster and/or has not observed the 2 week waiting period after their last shot.
Unvaccinated – individual has not received any doses of a Health Canada approved vaccine.
Proof of Vaccination – the Ministry of Health proof of vaccine with QR code is the only valid proof of vaccination for Ontarians. People from out of province or out of country must show proof of full vaccination along with photo ID.
This updated version of the Vaccination Policy is effective March 21, 2022.